One Shining Moment was written by David Barrett after he watched Larry Bird playing for Indiana State at the 1979 NCAA men’s basketball Tournament. Any basketball fan who saw these five magical moments played out would understand the love.
- 1957: North Carolina beats Kansas 54-53 in triple overtime to win the title.
- 1983: North Carolina State coach Jim Valvano runs onto the court in jubilation after his team upsets top-seeded Houston on a last-second put-back by Lorenzo Charles.
- 1987: Keith Smart takes “The Shot” as Indiana downs Syracuse 74-73 for the championship. CBS plays One Shining Moment at the end of its Tournament coverage for the first time.
- 1992: Christian Laettner hits a turnaround jumper at the buzzer in overtime to lift Duke past Kentucky and into the Final Four.
- 2008: Mario Chalmers’ 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds remaining puts Kansas into overtime in the title game against Memphis.
If you’re going to make some serious coin, you’re going to have to do some serious preparation. Get everything you need to bet on March Madness. Welcome to Bodog Sportsbook